Frequently Asked Questions

What is physiotherapy?

Julia Dyer Children’s Physiotherapy Practice , North West England UK . Frequently asked questionsPhysiotherapy is a healthcare profession concerned with human function and movement and maximising potential. Physiotherapists work in a wide variety of health settings. Physiotherapy is far more than treating sports injuries although that is perhaps the most common perception.

Physiotherapists complete a degree course in Physiotherapy and must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council to be able to practice. The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy is the professional and educational body for physiotherapists.

You should ensure that your independent physiotherapist is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and has relevant experience working with children.

Can I refer my child?

We do not accept direct referrals from parents as all work needs to be commissioned by an agency and funding obtained.

Who commissions your therapy services?

A wide range of agencies commission our therapy services such as health services, schools, local education authorities, voluntary groups, social care, residential schools, adoption support fund.

What conditions do you treat?

If you are unsure if we can help your child, look at a list of some of the areas we specialise in or contact us to find out if we can help.

Will therapy cure my child?

Often for children with developmental or neurological problems, there is no ‘magic’ cure. Therapy aims to help your child reach their maximum potential through the development of their physical skills and competence.

There are many different ways in which therapy can help your child depending upon their particular difficulties. Therapy could help your child to develop the skills and behaviours need to ‘fit in’ and be included at school and at home. Therapy could help your child to self-regulate their behaviour. Therapy could increase your child’s self confidence and self-esteem so that they enjoy life more and are prepared to try new activities.

As parents, therapy can provide you with strategies to support your child and to understand your child’s behaviour.

I thought only occupational therapists used sensory integration therapy

Sensory integration is an approach used by physiotherapists, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists. There is not a separate professional discipline in sensory integration. Parents should beware of people who call themselves ‘sensory integration therapists’ if they are not a member of one of the professions listed above.

Advanced training is required for a professional to be qualified to evaluate and treat sensory processing disorders. Ensure the therapist you choose has completed recognised post-graduate training in sensory integration theory and intervention.  More information can be found here.

Any reputable therapist will be comfortable to be questioned about their level of qualifications and clinical experience. They should be able to provide evidence of their qualifications. Look here to see our qualifications and experience.

These are just a few of the most frequently-asked questions, please contact us if you have any further questions.